How to prepare for a midstream urine test
- Obtain a container from your doctor or nearest Aotea Pathology rooms.
- Specimens collected in the early morning are preferred but not essential.
- Uncircumcised males: retract the foreskin.
- Females: wipe the perineal area from front to back with toilet paper or wash with warm water and part the labia to avoid vulval contamination.
- Allow some urine to pass into the toilet then pass some directly into the clean container until it is half full; then pass the rest of the urine into the toilet.
- Securely fasten the lid and label with full name, date of birth, time and date of collection.
- Place in plastic specimen bag with the request form from your doctor.
- Take the specimen to your doctor or nearest Aotea Pathology rooms.
- Ideally, urine specimens should be refrigerated immediately and delivered to the laboratory within four hours.
Download the PDF here