How to collect a semenalysis specimen
- Wash your hands and penis before collecting the sample to reduce the number of bacteria that might transfer from your skin into the semen.
- Collect a semen sample by masturbation.
- Allow 3-4 days without ejaculation before collection of the sample.
- We supply a container to collect the specimen in.
- Ejaculate directly into the container.
- It is important that all the ejaculate be collected, as an incomplete sample may give misleading results.
- Do not use a condom, or any jellies or lubricants as they may be spermicidal.
- Securely close the container and label it clearly with your full name, date of birth, any other identifying details (NHI number, for example) and the time and date of collection.
- Please place the container in the specimen bag provided.
- Deliver the sample to Aotea Pathology at 89 Courtenay Place, preferably within one hour of ejaculation.
- The laboratory is open from 8am. It does not accept samples after 4pm Monday to Friday, or on the weekend.
- Don't let the sample cool during delivery to Aotea Pathology. Carry it in an inner pocket and close to the body to keep it warm.
Download the PDF here